August 24, 2009

Banana Cake



This is a yummy cake recipe that I have altered to make it more healthy. I am thinking of trying to cut back on the oil and replacing it with milk or applesauce...we'll see how that turns out! This is the recipe that I have been using lately for those ripe bananas...my family loves it and it is so easy! Just cut into pieces and serve warm with a fork.

Banana Cake

2 bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1/2 cup olive oil

1 1/4 cups flour (I use 100% Whole Wheat)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda

Mix together wet and dry ingredients in two separate bowls. Pour wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just moistened. Scrape into greased 8 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean)

Tip: I double this and use a 9 x 13 inch pan ~ it takes 30 to 35 minutes to be done. Enjoy!

One more tip: I sometimes put in chocolate chips (which of course defeats the purpose of the healthy adjustments...or compensates for them...whichever way you want to look at it) and chopped nuts would go well, but we avoid nuts!

**UPDATE**
I tried making it with 1/4 cup milk in place of 1/4 cup of the oil and cut the sugar down to 1/4 cup and it still tasted good...healthier and healthier! :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

Okay, NOW I need to make THIS one! Your family must feel like royalty with all your yummy baking!
Heather

Camille said...

Hi Heather ~ This cake is SO incredibly easy to make and very healthy...with the alternatives provided. We've even had it for breakfast!

As far as royalty goes...I think the boys are just beginning to really appreciate the amount of cooking that goes into raising up young men. :)

Blessings,
Camille