January 24, 2012

Quick and Easy Thai Soup

Thai food is a favourite in our home.
Since coconut milk is often found in the recipes,
dessert is optional.  A good thing, really.

I gave this soup a try last night.
And tonight, I made it again.  It is that good.
Rave reviews all around.  SO yummy!

I had roasted chicken meat in the freezer.
Please tell me you have some, too?


Coconut milk and Thai curry paste are necessary ingredients.
Run out and get them if they are not already in
your pantry.  Now you are set!

Click Here to find the original recipe.
The way I made it is as follows.

First, I used roasted and cut up chicken meat instead
of the tofu.  I am not a tofu-lovin' girl.  That's just me.
If you love tofu...go for it!

~ Creamy Thai Chicken Soup ~
(Doubled from the original)

2 Leeks ~ cleaned and finely chopped...
white part only (You could also use a
medium-large sized onion)

1 Tbsp coconut oil for frying

1 Package Thai Curry Paste
(50g size) ~ Use two for more *kick* ~
I think I may just do that next time!


2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger

6 cups chicken stock

2 cans coconut milk (400 ml size)

2 Tbsp Sugar ~
I use organic dehydrated cane juice

4 cups chopped roasted chicken meat

8 cups stir fry veggies ~ chopped into bite-sized pieces
(You could use the frozen variety, but I chose to use fresh.
My mix included mushrooms, broccoli, and sweet peppers)

Melt coconut oil (or other type of cooking oil)
in heavy pot and stir fry leeks, ginger, and curry paste
for a few minutes until the leeks become limp.

Add chicken stock,
coconut milk, and sugar.  Bring to a boil.

Add chicken meat and veggies.
Return to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered,
until veggies are cooked ~ About ten minutes.
Taste and season with salt, if necessary.

I served ours over a scoop of rice in each bowl.
We ate it like soup with a spoon.
It would be lovely without the rice.
I served it that way to make it go further.

With my children, it was necessary. :)

Happy Soup-ing!
Blessings, Camille

6 comments:

Patty said...

I don't have all the ingredients to make this right now. We are working on emptying the pantry to start fresh. Then I hope to try some new healthy recipes.

Blessings, Camille.

Intentional Living Homestead said...

Okay Camille this sounds amazing. One of our children are adopted from Thailand...so I am always on the look-out for wonderful, tried and true recipes. We often do "authentic" nights for our Thai and African children. So this is going to be something tried in our house for sure....and guess what. I have those ingredients in my cupboard.

Our African children LOVE,LOVE, coconut milk.

Thank you for the recipe....can't wait to try it.

Blessings,
Connie
BTW: Glad my comments are working again:-)

Unknown said...

This sounds delightful! I'm going to show my ignorance here and ask about the dehydrated cane juice...is that a sugar substitute?

Camille said...

Dear Patty ~ How wonderful to *shop at home* like that and clear out the pantry! I am thinking that would be a good thing to do around here. :)

Dear Connie ~ Yippee for having all the ingredients on hand. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do. :)

Dear Jenn ~ It's not ignorance at all my friend! I should have explained. The original recipe calls for sugar...I just use the unrefined organic stuff...unbleached and presumably better for you? Can't prove it though. :)

Many Blessings,
Camille

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

This recipe looks really good Camille..and you know what? Coconut anything is pretty good for you, especially coconut milk and coconut oil :) :) Thanks for the tasty recipe :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather ;)

Camille said...

Dear Heather ~ I am SO glad it's good for you! It's SO yummy. :)

Blessings,
Camille