February 15, 2013

Loonies and Toonies

A guide to the Canadian currency.  
Just for the fun of it!  :)

For all those of you who may be curious,
and, even if you weren't, but now are ~
there was a time when we had *normal* money.
In my childhood, there were one and two dollar bills.
As time passes, things change; 
and our money has been no exception to this rule.

First, it was the one dollar bill.
The plan was to do away with it in favour of a coin.
Our one dollar coin quickly was dubbed the *Loonie*
due to the fact that a loon (the bird) was featured on one side.
The name has stuck.  

And, here we are with a Loonie instead of a Dollar.



Next up was the two dollar bill.
Since the coin would represent two dollars, 
and our one dollar coin was referred to as a Loonie,
the logical choice for its nickname was Toonie ~
A combination of the words *two* and *loonie*.

Is it all making sense now??

So often our colourful money is referred to as Monopoly Money.
In light of this, don't you think it fitting
that we have Loonies and Toonies in the mix? 


The latest change has been the discontinuation of the penny.
We now *round up* or *round down* accordingly.
Mostly, so far, it seems the trend is to *round up*.
Hmmm....is it a conspiracy?



If you deal in cash only,
your wallet may quickly be overtaken with change.
But, beware ~ all that loose change adds up.
Especially when there are Loonies and Toonies involved!
I believe it really is a conspiracy, after all.

Happy Weekend!  :)

Many Blessings, Camille

13 comments:

Nadine said...

A cute post Camille!

Love & Blessings!
~Nadine

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

there has been talk of getting rid of the US penny. It would make it easier for everyone. No more $9.99! We all have something to say about our money. Ours is colorful now, almost like yours. We have some nice looking dollar coins but they tarnish quickly. Sigh! Lay not up for yourselves......

Patty said...

Too funny! I think there is talk of doing away with our dollar also and replacing it with a coin. I wonder what it will be called if that happens. I guess we will have to wait and see. Thanks for the laugh.

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Sadly, none of it is worth that much anymore. Our govt. just keeps on a printing it, tho! Makes it look look we are rich!

I just saw somewhere where someone used pennies instead of laminate or tile for their floor....looks pretty sweet!

Camille said...

Dear Nadine ~ Thank you, my sweet friend. It's interesting how things change around us, and then we find that they are not at all like they were, isn't it? :)

Dear Becky ~ Ah, yes...no treasures ought to be laid up here...what a good admonition in light of this post, my friend! I'm not quite sure what I think of the no penny thing yet...it seems that the stores have it set so that most often the amount owed is rounded UP...Hmmmmmm!! :)

Dear Patty ~ Yes, that will be interesting! Things like that seem to just emerge...our Loonie didn't come off the presses with that name...it took some time. Thanks for stopping by my friend. :)

Dear Cindy ~ Dear me! Pennies to cover a floor? How difficult that would be to keep clean!! I'm glad to not have a jar of pennies waiting to be rolled up any more, but...it is a little strange to get used to the *new* way. I suppose it will soon be a way of life. I agree with you...the printing of money is frightening!! How precious it is to think that our treasure is in Heaven with the LORD!! :)

With Love,
Camille

Lisa said...

Such a fun post, Camille! I had a lot of fun reading this one to my kiddos :) Thanks for the fun facts about Canadian money!

Jill said...

It's always neat learning things about other countries :-) Thanks for sharing this. Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Blessings,
Jill

Camille said...

Dear Lisa ~ I'm glad you enjoyed it my friend! :)

Dear Jill ~ Since we live so near the border, I feel as though there are few differences between our countries, but, there are some! Thank you for being interested in this one. :)

Blessings to you both!
Camille

American Home said...

This is my first lesson on Canadian money. It was very interesting.

Many blessings to you.




Unknown said...

Very interesting! Thanks for the lesson Camille!

Camille said...

Dear Donna ~ I'm glad you enjoyed it my friend. :)

Dear Jenn ~ LOL! You are very welcome my friend! :)

Love to you both!
Camille

Linda said...

Great post, lovely photos.

Camille said...

Welcome Linda! It's lovely to *meet* you. :) Many Blessings, Camille